Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A letter to my parents


Dear Mum and Dad,
I’m going to have a baby, me the person who has never knowingly chosen to even stand next to a child!
We were lucky the three of us weren’t we? We had such fun, going to the beach in the rain or that time we went camping and you didn’t sleep at all mum, do you remember?
I remember the lullaby that you used to sing me Dad. I looked up the words yesterday, I think you made some of yours up, either that or everyone else on the internet is wrong. An option I am sure you would go for.
Mum, do you remember I used to get up after you had gone on night duty and watch TV with Dad on the sofa? Remember when you called out goodbye and shut the door and then hid to wait for me to come downstairs?
We used to play cards together in the evening sometimes, I have to confess that Mum and I always cheated, I suspect you knew Dad but you played along however difficult that was for your competitive spirit.
I wish you were here to help me give those same things to my child. I hope we can enjoy all the silly little things that you made into such good memories.
You would be amazing grandparents I’m certain of it. I’m also certain you would drive me crazy, letting your grandchild away with things I would never have been allowed to.....but that’s what grandparents are for isn’t it?
I am going to try and keep in mind that of all of the memories I have which make me smile and make me want to be a good parent none involve expensive toys or lavish trips. The best times were the times we were all together, looking in rock pools on holiday or teasing Dad at home. These are the things I want my child to have.
I am going to tell him or her all about you both, about how loving and funny and amazing you were. Also probably how much we argued when I was a teenager!
I miss you both, and wish you were here with me but I will have to accept that you will be guardian angel grandparents. Keep an eye on us won’t you?
All my love,
Tara.xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment