Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Puppy love


It occurred to me as I sit here, nearly 5 months pregnant, having an early morning cup of tea with my oldest dog that soon something is going to come along that I may well love more than the stinky old greyhound next to me.
It probably seems obvious to most but for me it’s an incredible leap. Even now I am trying to imagine how it will feel but it’s impossible. It’s like trying to imagine the taste of a food you’ve only ever seen a picture of...how can we conjure up something we’ve never experienced? It would be like remembering something we never knew in the first place. All we can do is use the things we have experienced and try to cobble together the expectation of the new.
I know some mothers are enraged by the mere mention of dogs in the same breath as children, their maternal fury knows no bounds, nor logic as far as I can tell (yet) because in truth of course I prefer my dogs to their children, why wouldn’t I? I’m not saying I’ll prefer them to my own child....not out loud anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment